Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wayyyy behind.

So clearly I am WAY behind.
I had hoped after having the baby to have a few minutes at night before bed to sit down a few days a week to update this. Buttttt clearly that hasn't happened.

Well, I had little Meredith Olivia Patterson on Thursday, February 24th at 12:49pm.
It was a scheduled C Section, which was probably more nerve-wracking than my first one. The anticipation of it all, especially the epidural.
We got there, got all checked in, I got changed into a gown. I had an amazing 'delivery nurse' named Carin who was just fabulous. She listened to what we had to say about the past problems getting an IV started, and she used what she called the 'secret vein,' that most nurses don't use, but she got it it started and in beautifully. Thank god.
I had 2 amazing anesthesiologists. This guy, I want to say his name was Roger, but I could be wrong, came in, he explained everything about the different epidurals, and what kind I'd be getting that day. Then the other anes. Robin came in, and explained she'd be the one actually inserting it, etc. etc. Well, at that point they asked if I had any questions, I said or shook my head no, then I started to panic and got emotional and lost it. I was a crying, sobbing hysterical mess. They were both so sweet, and all like "what's wrong, what's wrong?" I'm not sure how many people get as nervous as I was about the epidural, I hope I didn't scare them and shock them too bad. I wasn't even that bad when they did my epidural for Logan. I'm not sure why I freaked out so bad. You always think in your head about the risk of being paralyzed, or something happening. And I am very ticklish/jumpy, so the whole aspect of not moving while they do it really scares me. Because I can't guarantee I won't move!! I got as calmed down as I could be, they prepped my the rest of the way. I got a few shots. Then I said by to my mom and they wheeled me into the OR. They did the epi in the OR room, and Matt wasn't allowed in there yet, but Roger stood in front of me with a pillow, and had me hunch over it, and hug up against him, which was much more comforting than with Logan. With Logan they just had me sit on the edge of the bed, hunch over, and hold a nurse's hands. Well, it was a long process. I had some issues with feeling tingling and that weird sensation in my left leg. I said "ow ow" a few times, even though it didn't exactly hurt per say, it was just a reflex reaction to say ow to the weird feeling, they asked what was wrong, I told them, they said it was good that I told them, to let them know if I was feeling it more on one side than the other. It took what seemed like forever. I started to get a little nervous again and upset, asking if they were almost done several times. Well, after it was all over Robin apologized and said she was sorry it shouldn't have taken that long. They didn't tell me exactly what the problem was, which was I'm sure on purpose because of how scared I already was. I didn't ask either. (The next day I did see that I had a huge bruise on my back though.)
After the epidural it was fabulous!! The surgery itself didn't scare me at all this time! And Dr. Bellante was AMAZING. If we have another baby I will have to have a c section again (VBAC is rarely a possibility for anyone who had 2 prior c sections, which is why i really wanted a vaginal this time if possible, but God had other plans), and I will have it scheduled with her for sure.
With Logan, they pulled him out, showed him to me, and then the little thing they put him on was not in my eyeline, and I didn't really get to see him, and obviously I didn't get to hold him. It took forever to close me up it seemed, then Matt got to hold him until they were done.
This time, they pulled her out, showed her to me over the curtain, then brought her around up next to my face so I could REALLY look at her for a few minutes. I thought they had already wiped her off, but they hadn't!! They all kept saying how clean she came out and laughing! I guess she wasn't as gooey as most babies come out, lol! Then Matt and I confirmed her name-I was waiting to see her to choose for sure.
They had to finish cleaning out the placenta and everything and then sew my uterus and abdomen back up, while the nurses cleaned her off and did her Apgar and everything. Then Matt says to me "She's bigger than Logan!!" I said "What?! Are you sure?" and kinda laughed and actually shed a tear. She was 8 lbs. 5 ounces! They told me at my 37 week ultrasound she was 6 lbs. 1ounce, and would gain about a 1/2 a pound a week. So we were expecting about a 7 1/2 pound baby. And she was almost 8 1/2!! It was quite a shock.
The nurses quickly did what they had to do, then wheeled her little cradle thingy over closer to where I could see it, so I could watch while they finished doing anything they had to do. Next thing I knew, they were all done sewing me up! I said something along the lines of Wow, that was so fast! Which took Dr. Bellante by surprise. She started asking the nurses what the start/end time was, and said it was right on par with normal, and I said I didn't mean anything by it, I didn't think she rushed it or anything, lol, it just seemed that my first C section took FOREVER to sew me up. Matt was holding Logan for a long time before they were done. This time I don't think he held her in the OR at all, because we were all done so fast!
And the pain and recovery wasn't as bad this time either :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment